Thursday 31 May 2012

Of Rain (again) and Travelling Alone in the Gold Coast

Okay people, this is Eleana reporting to you from Surfers Paradise in the Gold Coast. I am currently surrounded by people in an internet cafe and trying not to feel too self-conscious about how the people next to me can just glance out the corner of their eyes and see past the flimsy dividers and read as I type. But anyway.

What is the Gold Coast like? Well, if you asked me on the day I arrived I would have been saying things like "this is just like Pensacola, Florida, where I went on Spring Break," "I love the stretch of beach, it looks fab," "So many restaurants, can't wait to eat!"

It is now my second full day here and now I'm like "Will this rain never STOOOOOOOOP!!!!! ARGHHHHH!!"

Yeah.

Actually the rain has stopped, but apparently only for a couple of hours, and tomorrow it might rain, and the next day it will rain, and the next day it will rain, and the next day I leave so.... oh.

Despite this I am actually having a nice time. I am sleeping a LOT which is nice because I had an average of 7 hours back in Sydney which is so not enough for me. And at the backpackers place I am staying at (Gold Coast International Backpackers for anyone who wants to know) I have a room for 4 all to myself mwahahaha. I didn't chase them out or anything, it's just off season right now. Not sure why. Such lovely weather. Oh wait.

The Gold Coast would be a great place for a Spring Break (that is if you Americans can afford the flight... if you can and you're a pretty male then call me!) because there is so much party stuff going on, and fairground rides, and the beach, and shopping, and theme parks, and Condom Kingdom. Yeah, they are totally prepared for Spring Breakers.


But I am not on Spring Break and also travelling alone, which presents its own problems. As a mild introvert travelling alone, while I would love to have a chat with somebody, I will not be the first to approach them, and if they come and talk to me, my first reaction will be to put them off. Crazy personality. And the number of times I've had to say "Just me" is unreal. If I go to a restaurant, they will say "For two?" and I reply, "Nope, just me." If I book a tour, they say "for two people?" And I reply, "Nope, just me." Nobody seems to expect that I could be on my own. People naturally travel in pairs or groups, it seems. And I do seem to be the only lone person staying at my hostel.


Anyway, tonight I will be going for a steak dinner and a show at the Australian Outback Spectacular (poster above) which I am very much looking forward to, and tomorrow I am off to Movie World theme park which also looks amazing. Plus I'm on my own so I can go through the single rider lines and get on the rides faster. Haha! There are bonuses.

Well, I have 6 minutes left of my dollar of internet. Man, I miss my computer and wi-fi! Definitely experiencing those withdrawal symptoms I talked about. All I ask now is for you, dear reader, to do a Sun Dance for me so that I can get some Vitamin D please.

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment