Thursday 24 May 2012

Of Tall Towers, Seas, and Cities

So my planning is impeccable. I googled the weather in advance, saw it was going to rain on the days when I planned to do some last Sydney sightseeing, and so took the days off work when it promised to be sunny instead. And it was glorious. And warm. And I was severely overdressed. My bedroom is cold, as is work, so each day I have been wearing leggings under my trousers, a tank top under a long sleeved top under a jumper, and my scarf. Right now I'm at work (shhh don't tell anyone I'm blogging) and am sitting in a rather fetching yellow fleece (work colours of course).
Sex-ay >_<
But anyway, Tuesday morning I was off work and arrived at Sydney Central Tower at 11am. There I got lost in the food court for about 10 minutes trying to find the entrance to the Sydney Tower Eye, but eventually found it and collected my ticket and 3D glasses and made my way to the 4D cinema. 4D cinemas are always overhyped, and this one was really no different as we followed a brightly coloured and very fake looking bird from a boy and his father flying a kite (aw) over the Sydney Opera House towards Central Tower (very quick trip). There were, however, some pretty good bubbles that floated down during the shark scene (where did that come from?) and one thing I did really like was the coastal scenes where they blew wind at your face. That bit was good.

There was then just a short trip up in the elevator and I arrived at the Observation Deck. It may be uber touristy, but the Ob Deck is not overrated. The views are fantastic. If you've spent some time in the city it's even more interesting because you can recongnise buildings and streets and find out things you weren't aware of. Like how the Botanical Garden is massive when you're in it, but it looks much smaller than you'd expect from on high. And buildings that I pass all the time actually have playgrounds and small football fields on the roofs. And the University of Sydney seems quite close but it looks very far away from central tower.
 
Darling Harbour
The beautiful city

Botanical Gardens
The University of Sydney, and I live just in front of the massive square yellow building.

 It's definitely a must do, and I bet the night view is fantastic as well. Tempted to go back and see...

Anyway, next I went to Circular Quay and met up with my roommate Olina for a trip on the ferry to Watsons Bay, which my parents have asked me every few weeks if I've done yet. Well yes, now I have. The ferry does not cost a lot, and you can get some great photos of the other side of the Sydney Opera House.

And Watsons Bay is absolutely lovely. A must do (which my parents did with me when I was a wee thing) is go to Doyle's for fish'n'chips. It is the most expensive meal I have every bought for myself, but it looks beautiful and it tastes great, with a fantastic view of the bay and the city in the distance.

If you walk through Robertson Park, you will reach the cliffs and the Tasman Sea. Leave enough time to walk along to the end of the peninsula; unfortunately the last ferry was at 4pm and we didn't have enough time to do the whole walk, but we did some of it, and the views on a sunny day are great. And you can see the actual sea, not a river or a harbour. It was very beautiful and blue. And sea-like...

Okay, so yeah, my favourite views are of the cities, I am truly a city girl, but I can appreciate a good sea when I see one (strange phrase).
But then we got on the ferry and I arrived back at my beloved city. *Sigh* Isn't it pretty?


N.B. As this blog is photo heavy I will be continuing with Wednesday's trip in a new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment