Thursday 22 March 2012

We All Have Unlucky Days

Yesterday was...... interesting.

You know those days where an accumulation of events create a problem and you just think "how did all those coincidences come together?"

Well, some of the things that happened were admittedly unrelated to one another. Like the fact the workload was so freaking busy that day that things totally skipped my mind (actually maybe it's related after all! I will explain in a minute).

For example, things like at work organising a courier for several parcels to go to 9 different addresses. I maybe-sort-of forgot to cancel one of those items when I was asked to after I made the booking, which meant this morning when I walked in the front door of my work and saw the couriers I thought "shiiiiit! hope this isn't important enough to get fired over."

Well, I'll never know, because although I wouldn't say I was an unusually lucky person, things do tend to work out for the better with me (eventually). When the courier company rang to tell me I was going to be charged for the "futile attempt at pickup" (bit exaggerated, calling it 'futile'. It's not like the couriers braved through fire and brimstone in order to reach my workplace, only to find that the parcel had already been eaten by a dragon), my guardian angel sprinkled some magical fairy dust over the lady on the telephone who then apparently read to the bottom of the piece of paper in front of her and realised the couriers had still picked up 8 other things from us, so it wasn't 'futile' after all them coming to see me, and I think I got away with it.

I'm sorry, that wasn't a very exciting story was it? But yeah, even those little things can sometimes send me into a tizzy and then I'll just worry worry worry. Anyway, the point is yesterday there was a 'disaster' and today it worked out.

Maybe you'd be more interested in my spaz attack when I backed into a spider's web? Disaster number 2, and yeah, it's exactly as it sounds. I backed through a gate pulling a cardboard bin (a bin full of cardboard, not a bin made of cardboard.... but anyway) and backed straight into a MAHOUSIVE spider's web. This would be enough to freak me out at the best of times, but this is AUSTRALIA. Spiders KILL people here. And I pass great whopping angry looking spiders everyday on my way to work so I could only imagine what might be on my cardigan about to eat me.

Turns out I missed the thing by CENTIMETRES and then after I stopped yanking hysterically on my clothes and hands trying to get the web off and making certain there was no spidery thing on me, I had to take a running jump through the gap in the hedge back out onto the road, kind of like how you jump onto your bed so whatever's underneath it doesn't have the chance to reach out and grab you. I mean, I'd just destroyed this spider's home. Hours and hours, maybe days of work. I wasn't going to find out how it would exact its revenge. Then I noticed the van standing at the traffic lights, the driver and passenger openly watching me. When the passenger waved, I waved back and walked calmly and collectedly into my building where I proceeded to freak out all over again in my re-enactment of my brush with death with my colleagues.

So, then I left my phone at work. Tres frustrating, but I could deal. It was one of the things that sipped my mind because I was so busy. Anyway, I decided to celebrate the fact that it was payday since I had remembered my purse at least and I went out to get pizza. Yum. And it was, as I sat eating it on my doorstep 20 minutes later because I'd been locked out the house without a key.

In the rain.

For 2 hours.

Yeah.

After 2 hours one of my housemates eventually turned up and I was so excited! (and cold)! Except he also... didn't.... have a key.

After a further 10 minutes of convincing him that scaling up the palm tree beside our house to reach the roof and climb down onto our balcony was a bad idea (after all, I had no phone. If he broke his neck I couldn't call for an ambulance. Also even if I did have my phone, I don't know what the emergency services number is..... I should find that out....), he rang around a bit and we managed to get in contact with one of my housemates who was AT HOME THE WHOLE TIME AND DIDN'T HEAR ME YELLING!!!

Yeah. So, I eventually got in, warmed up and ate the rest of my pizza, went to bed, and started the new day with a clean slate. Today has been absolutely fine.



And I remembered my key!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Hahaha this brightened my day, you do make me laugh!
    Typical Ellie ;)
    MISS YOUUU
    Katt xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete