Tuesday 10 April 2012

Of Easter Fun and Frolicks

I never usually make plans for the Easter weekend, because it has always fallen on a school holiday, so a those few extra days off were nothing special. However, I am now a grown up in the world of work, and so there was no way I was going to sit inside and do nothing the whole weekend.

My boss very kindly let us leave an hour early from work on the Thursday (which was fantastic because the last hour at work always takes about 3 hours real time) and when I got home I was immediately pounced upon by my roommates with an invitation to Clovelly Beach for some moonbathing (as opposed to sunbathing, that is, there was no way I was going to be doing any 'bathing' in the freezing sea at midnight). Of course I said yes, as one of my new years resolutions was to say yes more often to invitations as long as they don't pose a risk to my life (like bungee jumping, or skydiving, that would be a no).

I can't say much for Clovelly beach itself, because it was dark so I couldn't see anything, but about 10 of us sat on our jackets on a cliff watching the sea and the moon, which is something I've never done before, but am SO going to do again. We met an American there as well who had wandered by with his friend, and I had a great conversation defending Mississippi to him (I don't think he was convinced of MS's wonders even at the end of our conversation, but oh well). I miss the American accent hugely so it was just nice to listen.

Anyway, we left around 2am, and the next day I had a nice relaxing day at home, emerging outside only to purchase food in the form of CHINESE BAKERY YUMMINESS!!!!

Ahem.

The plan to go to Bondi the next day fell through due to poor weather, but instead we went back to the Rocks Market (scene of my sunstroke fainty reactions the week before) and met ex-roommate Emma for a wander round. I purchased the most expensive stick of corn ever ($4 = daylight robbery) and some cards and bracelets. Seriously, if you ever come to Sydney, go to the Rocks Market, it's fantastic and has some very unique and unusual and beautiful things.

We then made our way to the Harbour Bridge, which I wanted to go across to see the view. We walked along the roadside, not over the arch of the bridge which would mean wearing a rather fetching blue boiler suit and spending about $200 (I still kind of really want to do it though... anyone?), but I couldn't convince the lazy buggers I call friends to go across even HALFWAY! We made it maybe a 1/3 of the way and they decided that was enough walking. Sigh.

By the way, don't bother going out for dinner on Easter Sunday in Sydney. Everything, and I mean everything, closes at 6pm. And it started raining. A lot. But we managed to find a little Japanese sushi place (where all the waiters were Korean....?) and then purchased a lot of chocolate and sweetie goodness (and be 'we', I of course mean just 'me'), and took a 30 minute bus ride to Maroubra, which I spelt and pronounced Marlborough until Emma worked out it wasn't just my funny accent and I was just plain saying it wrong. Is there a place called Marlborough?

We put on a movie at her house, which everyone missed because they fell asleep except me and Jee Eun, and the next morning we had to wake up at 7am to catch a bus back to the city. Knacker-ed! I was then able to persuade Jee Eun to come with me to Balmain to collect some things from where I used to live and have some yummerful breakfast (I have used yummy in several different forms in this post haven't I? Overuse. But everything is yummy here) and had a walk down to the wharf to view the beautiful city skyline. The rest of the day was spent at home watching Korean dramas and trying not to fall asleep.

Guess what the next day was.

Go on.

Guess.

It was........ TUESDAY and the first day back at work.

Which is true, but it was also my birthday. People, I am 23 years old. And the best thing is I work and live with people who are all older than me, so everytime someone asked me how old I was they would grimace and comment on how young I am. Hurrah! In the morning I skyped with my parents and opened my presents and cards, which I then displayed nicely in the living room so that everyone was aware of the special occasion. And Jee Eun gave me a little sheepie we'd seen in the Rocks Market. So cute! My colleagues were great, Abi had baked me a chocolate cake and we all sat in the meeting room for an hour eating and chatting. When I got home Roberta had bought me a book with a sweet message inside (in Italian. Hello google translate), and Saki had bought me special cupcakes! We just went to the movies that night because it's Tuesdays cheap night (I still live like a stingy student) and because the big celebration is on Friday.

Birthdays are strange now. Like Christmas they used to feel like magical days. Now they just feel ordinary, and I kept forgetting about it when I was working. It's sad. Growing up is no fun. Well, no, actually it's a lot of fun. You lose some things, but you gain a lot of things too. 364 days until I'm 24, and then I'll be REALLY old.

                                                       x My presents from my girls :) x

1 comment:

  1. Love the book (an the cupcakes!!) It really seems like EVERYTHING is yummy in Australia :)

    ReplyDelete