Wednesday 25 April 2012

Of Tiredness and Antisocial Behaviour

I don't know if it's Sydney's atmosphere, the gaping blinds, or the fact I sleep in a bunkbed, but I cannot sleep past 9:30am. And that is not like me. Seriously.

I am so TIRED. Oh my god you have no idea. This morning at work I was doing some laminating (I am very much overworked here) and the hum of the machine was slowly sending me off to sleep. I had to get up and go to the bathroom a few times just to fluff my hair or something, because if I stared at my computer screen too long, I got a little bit cross eyed, and then a little bit closed-eyes-ah-everything's-gone-dark-what-happened-oh-yeah-open-eyes. My plan for lunchtime was a nap and then an energy drink.

Anyway, poodling on, I need to recommend something. And it's going to be kind of obvious but I'm going to do it anyway. If you find yourself in Sydney at some point in your future, one friday night when it's still a little bit warm, go to the Sydney Opera House Bar. I've said before how sometimes I find I could easily forget I am in Australia because of how mutlicultural my house, and even the city itself, is. Well, if you sit on the stone benches that run along the harbour wall by the Opera House with the amazing building behind you, Harbour Bridge in front of you, Luna Park all lit up, and the city glowing on your left, you will know you are in Australia.

Drinking there is expensive (Saki's boyfriend forked out $65 for a bottle of wine. c.r.a.z.y.) but there are some cheaper options, so just hand over that money baby, because you are also paying for a one of a kind view which is pretty spectacular and definitely worth it. And dress up a little. Everyone else has. So sit and stare at the view, chatting with your friends, and then around 11pm turn around to face the Opera House, and judge the outfits of all the people who spill out of its doors after watching a concert of some kind, and try and work out which ones are the rich people with the real Louis Vuitton and not a copy from Thailand. Or Paddy's Market.

That's how we spent Saki's leaving do (temporary abandonment, she comes back in a month). We also celebrated Jee Eun's birthday early, which I think she was both pleased and horrified by as Saki had bought candles shaped as the number 30.... so her age was displayed for all to see. They didn't last long once they were blown out. Seriously though, she looks 22 so she shouldn't worry.

Right now I am being epic-ly antisocial and lazy. It's Anzac day and to celebrate a holiday which means very little to anyone in this house seeing as we're not Australian, we have hosted an International Cuisine Night. I hate these things. What am I supposed to bring? Or cook. A roast dinner? I can barely cook that for one person. I thought about crumpets.... but then the laziness kicked in and I couldn't be bothered to go to Coles and get some. Maybe next time. There's bound to be another Internation Cuisine Night in my future. Oh, the antisocial bit is because the party is downstairs and I am sitting in my bunk, typing this. It's strange how I revert back to old habits now. When I first got to Australia I was so bored and lonely by myself I was willing to share a room with 3 other people (which worked out very well as it turns out). Now that I have made friends, I am once again uncomfortable in large crowds of people drinking beer. And parties, even at my own house, seem like too much effort. I'm such a partypooper right?

Okay okay, you've bullied me into it. I'll make a dash downstairs and grab a sprite and cross my fingers that I can make it through the night without having to explain, for the fifteen thousand millionfrillionjillionakduhakwbfkjawf time why I am not drinking the beer.

BEER TASTES BAD, OKAY???

TTFN!


                                                        Oh yeah, and I'm a brunnette now

No comments:

Post a Comment