Tuesday 17 April 2012

Rain, Birthdays, Abandonment, and MORE RAIN.

Sydney is one giant puddle today. In some ways it is quite a lot like Mississippi. When it's sunny, it's very dry and warm. When it rains, it's everyone for themselves to get to the ark before it's too late. This morning when I got into work I spent the first 15 minutes drying myself pathetically with paper towels.

It may be that we have seen the end of the good weather in Sydney, as the rain is apparently going to continue for at least all of this week. I daren't look up next week or I might get depressed. I have to walk everywhere in this city so rain is a nightmare.

Enough about rain! I just wanted to update the world on my post-birthday celebrations and the fact that SAKI IS LEAVING ME! More on that later.

So, as I said in my previous post, we just went to the cinema on my birthday because the big day was Friday. We went to the Sydney Rowing Club for my birthday dinner (shared with Saki whose birthday was the 15th, and Jee Eun whose birthday is the 26th), which is in Abbotsford, and is a very nice place to have dinner if you're ever in Sydney and want a harbour view that's not The Harbour View. We have friends that work there, so as per their instructions we took the 438 bus to meet them there.

And got dropped off in the middle of nowhere.

Seriously, the guy said "Last stop" so we all trundled off the bus and were already lost. Someone who overheard us/eavesdropped explained that there was a 438 that went to Abbotsford, and a 438 that runs the same exact route and stops halfway. Of course! How did we not realise! . . . . . . . .

Once I explained our dilemma to the bus driver of the next 438 to go by, he very kindly let us on for free (puppy dog eyes for the win!) and we reached the Sydney Rowing Club without any more drama. The meal was fantastic. There were 10 of us and we sat by the harbour side eating mostly fishy meals (you have to by a harbour!) and the guys even arranged for a birthday cake for us with sparklers! It was a passion fruit cheesecake.... so I just ate the buttery biscuit base (inside joke for my mum there) and Arnaud vacuumed up anything that was left by anyone.

So, I'm 23 now, which means I'm old and tired......... okay, so my tiredness comes from work, not age, and on the bus on the way home I was pooped out from a week of early mornings and wasn't in the mood to go clubbing (old!), and we all agreed to go to a local pub instead (called Abercrombie on George Street, it's an interesting sort of place so you could check it out if you were nearby. Cheesy music on Friday nights!).

I got a birthday drink from Kirra, and there was a discussion about how we all knew how to get by on a night out with guys buying us drinks the whole night, and I was sitting there thinking "no........" sad face. Not even my accent gets me free drinks! Although this is probably because as soon as someone makes eye contact I suddenly become interested in the funny hair of the barista/the wine list even though I hate wine/how small my hands are.

I digress. The night was awesome and muchos pictures were taken (mostly by me and people stealing my camera to take pictures of hats....) and then at 2am I went home because I'm so old and it was way past my bedtime.

On a somewhat unrelated but related topic, I've noticed that I keep eating out a lot here. I'll plan something for dinner (I go to Coles for one meal at a time, it's just so near) and then won't eat it for a week because I'm always out. My memory is fuzzy about the Saturday night (because of age) but Sunday night we went to Wagamamas for Saki's birthday dinner, Monday night I went to a Thai restaurant with other housemates, and then last night went to Saki's restaurant for a goodbye dinner. Well, I can't spend my money of stuff because I was already over the stuff weight limit set by the plane people before I came to Australia, so I guess I'll just spend it on food.

And, SAKI IS LEAVING ME! My Japanese friend is selfishly leaving us to go travel round Australia with her cute boyfriend. Surely Jee Eun and I should mean more to her! I mean, she's known me for all of a month already! I will be consoling myself tonight with chocolate and her bed. Hmm, better explain, I was a top bunker and she was on a bottom bunk, which I am now stealing since she is ABANDONING ME, so that I can stop performing acrobatics to get in and out of bed. And asking people to fetch me things when I'm lazy.... maybe I should stay there....

It's still raining. Rain rain go away, come again another day... no, go to England where you belong.

I'm going to start planning my last month in Sydney soon. June seems to be rushing at me like an American football and as yet I'm not wearing a helmet, so I need to get my act together and plan some stuff to do. Sightseeing on my own will be an interesting experience, but I shall be vlogging and blogging the whole thing so I shall pretend everyone on the internet is there with me.

STOP RAINING!

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment