Friday 7 September 2012

Of Getting Wheels, Libraries, and Scary Trucks

I am mobile. Or I will be, from this weekend. I bought a car. A car!!! That's, like, grown up stuff. And it's the most expensive thing I've ever bought for myself. Before that it was my plane ticket to Australia (ouchers). I mean, travelling around Australia cost a lot, and I certainly splurged a little more than I maybe should have (could so have used the money for my car), but they were lots of little things that made up one big expensive thing. This is just one big expensive thing. And I haven't even bought tags yet (I think this means the number plate...? Silly Americanisms) or my insurance. Gulp. But it was be worth it when my sexy little blue thang arrives and I can cruise around campus like, "yeah man, I got me some wheels!"

Yeah, no I'm not going to do that. It's just so that I can get home from class and stay in the library till midnight.

What? No, I'm not lame! Or a nerd, I heard that.

This be my wheels, yo

Side note: there is a section in the library that is especially for Graduates, which I love. That's my working space. As an undergrad on my exchange year abroad I would peer into the area longingly, and just once I sneaked in to read a book and kept looking up every 20 seconds to check that a librarian wasn't about to arrive and demand to see my student ID. They didn't. Now I wish they did. I don't want no undergrad in my precious space! How dare they. It's super exclusive! My friend Joey laughed when I told him this. I think that was undeserved.

Anyway, when I picked up my rental car to go to Memphis and find my new car, I did not expect to be given this ----->
It was mahousive! I felt really bad for only being able to take up one of the six seats. I was so hyper aware of any other vehicle that passed me, in case they weren't giving my massive bulk enough room. And when I picked up my friend Jodie from her house, I was too terrified to go up her drive, which is basically a hill, in case I couldn't turn around and come down again. It was brand new as well with no scratches or anything so whenever I heard a tiny pebble get flicked up into the wheel arch, I was paranoid it had in fact shattered a window. And if I locked it and went into a garage or a shop, I was certain when I came out it had been stolen. The stereo was awesome though. I started listening to chart music and then felt bad and swtiched over to country music. That's the best bit about road trips in the south.

Also, the cabs of trucks in this country are made to scare you. I saw a bright blue cab in my rearview mirror with massive silver chrome exhuast pipes that when it beeped it's horn at me for being 2 mph under the speed limit, it shook the ground (no it didn't) and I moved quickly into the next lane. But, when it shot past me, it had this little piddling back which in no way matched it's front and made it look ridiculous. The ones that are long enough that they take a full 2 minutes to get passed you, now they are proper scary.

Short entry today because I have quite a few assignments to complete. Quite a few. A lot. More than I want. So I'm going to get on with that.

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment