Monday 3 September 2012

Of My Love Hate Relationship

I have a love-hate relationship with a lot of things in America. These are just some of them.

I love the way people just abandon their cars in the car park. It's like they didn't even try, they just thought "this bit's empty" and left it there. I'm sure if the car park was full I'd be pissed that a whacking great SUV has parked itself over three spaces, but for the minute it's just funny.

I hate the way total strangers are talking to me. Well, I don't hate it, I'm just not used to it, and at the moment, because of my nature, it makes me uncomfortable. I feel fake because I'm trying to be super friendly and interesting for the 30 seconds this person is in my life and calling my attention, and while they're talking I'm just constantly thinking "in a second we're never gonna see each other again, why are you bothering?" This feeling is one I hope will change. And I do hope people still talk to me. Especially if they're cute. Especially especially if they're cute and a guy.

I love the fact that the weather is actually warm instead of the poor excuse of a summer that we have in England. And I love that they have air-conditioning everywhere.

I hate the fact it's too freaking warm outside and that the air-conditioning is too freaking cold. I carry leggings and a jacket with me wherever I go so that I can fend off hypothermia inside.

I love the epic storms they have here. When it rains, it goes all out, and it's hilarious to be caught out in it. There are so many lightning storms and the thunder is floor shakingly loud, I love it.

I hate getting soaked in the rain right before going into a class. It makes the air-conditioning that much more painful.

I love kroger for having all my cashew nut and cinnamon cravings. And just America in general for having all my favourite foods.

I hate the fact that all my favourite food makes me fat.

I love that everything is drive through. Drive through food, drive through ATMs, I'm just waiting for drive through clothes stores. Can I get a drive through gym and put my car on a treadmill?

I hate the fact you need a car. The heck! You guys are making me spend thousands on a vehicle to get across a stupid bridge to my flat.

I love the work I'm doing. My Masters is perfect for me. My job is perfect for me. I can actually do the work and not feel like I'm being stupid. I even feel good enough to put forward ideas in class. Out loud. Whhhhaaaatt??

I hate the amount of reading we have to do. I get it, I get that I'm in a Masters programme and that I'm supposed to read to get good background knowledge etc etc for my future career, but dammit I want to go to a club! And go to Memphis! And eat out at restaurants! All of these things require a car though....

But most of all, I just love that I'm here again. Yes, it's still difficult making friends and I'm working on feeling comfortable with certain things, but hopefully all these things will eventually fall into place. I really do love my job, it's what I want to do in the long run. I love the fact I'm problem solving and organising events and hearing all these different accents around me again. I love the people I've met so far and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love the people I get to meet soon. Fingers crossed my boyfriend is out there somewhere.........

Nah just kidding.

Except I'm not....


Where are yooooooou???

This is Rachael.... not my boyfriend.....
TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment